Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Yielded Heart

Jan. 10.  Our words contain the power of either life or death, blessing or cursing. It is so important to remember that our words activate either blessing or cursing, life or death, in the spiritual realm. Words continue to hang in the spirit, and the sound waves go on infinitely. That is why it is so important to carefully consider the words that we speak. God's Word tells us that a perverse word breaks the spirit of others. A righteous man or woman will guard their ways lest they sin with their mouth. (Ps. 39:1)

We have all been hurt by others that are careless with their words, or those that use words as a weapon. The fruit of unrighteousness is a mouth that is quick to cause pain and stir up offense in others. People that refuse to filter their words are simply selfish and immature. They don't care about anyone than themselves. There is a way to speak truth in love, that takes the feelings and welfare of others into consideration. This is speaking righteously, and allowing love to be the motivator instead of another negative emotion. The Bible tells us that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. Whatever we are filled with will come out of us, especially when our emotions come into play. You can be sure the enemy will bait a hook and throw it out at you from time to time, just to see if he can get us to bite. Friends, don't take the bait of Satan. Don't let him tempt you with a painful or offensive barb just to see if he can entice you into a war of words. No one wins those situations! The Lord instructs us to 'guard our heart for out of it flows the wellspring of life.' The fruit of righteousness is peace and a yielded heart. A yielded heart is a humble heart, and God gives His grace to the humble. If you choose humility, His grace will be there to enable you to have the right response. Pride chooses a different response. Pride defends it's own perceived rights, but a servant of the Lord gladly surrenders their rights. There is one prayer that has worked well for me, and it can for you, too. Do it often, and let the Holy Spirit know you are yielding to Him -but when opportunities arise to get in the flesh and push your buttons, you still have a choice how you will respond. If you choose to walk in the Spirit and let your Spirit-man be in control, it may not feel good to your flesh but you will be soooo glad you did afterwards! You will be able to walk away knowing the enemy didn't get the better of you, and those that try to bait you will just end up feeling foolish for going there in the first place. Go out of your way to BLESS, BLESS, BLESS until the hot coals of conviction melt their resistance! God will make even your enemies to be at peace with you when you are in right standing with Him, and He can even turn an enemy into a friend if you will let Him. Trust me, this prayer really works!

Pray: Holy Spirit, I give you permission in advance of any situation that arises; You may change my responses so that they honor You and keep me from putting my foot (or my mouth) in a snare. Holy Spirit, filter my words, and let love be the motivator of all my words and actions. Help me to remember that treating others honorably has nothing to do with their responses towards me, but because Someone honorable lives in me, and You remain true to who You are. Give me the self control and obedience to speak only what You would have me speak. Put a guard over my mouth. Help me to know when to speak and when to remain silent. Every time the enemy wants to engage me in a war of words, every time he throws out a baited hook, help me to see it as such. Help me also to determine to bless those that the enemy wants to use to hurt or offend me. You are the master chess player, Father. Tell me each move to make so that I overcome with victory! I pray for myself, my family members, those in my workplace and in the city of _____. It is written in Luke 21:15 that You will give us a mouth filled with wisdom that even our enemies cannot contradict nor resist, so today I ask for this wisdom that comes from above, from Your Holy Spirit, and responses that honor You. Let discretion preserves each of us, let understanding keep us and deliver us from the way of evil. Let mercy and truth be written on the tablets of our hearts and help us keep Your commands.

I declare that my family and I choose to yield our hearts to you, O Lord. We will not trust in our own understanding, but we will choose to honor You and acknowledge You in all our ways, according to Prov. 3:5.

I declare that my words, those of my family members, and those in the city of _____ shall be filled with wisdom and righteousness; nothing crooked or perverse is in our words, according to Prov. 8:8. For it is written,  ‘Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.’ (Eph. 4:31) 

I declare our speech shall always be full of grace, seasoned with salt (wisdom), that we might know how to answer others, as it is written in Colossians 4:6.


I declare
Your wisdom shall guard us and keep us in the way of righteousness, and we will not give place for the enemy to gloat over us; neither shall we feel ashamed. In Jesus name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article on the power of the tongue and the connection to either blessings or cursings.

    ReplyDelete