Speaking in Other Tongues

Recently I had a woman contact me and ask me if I had a prayer to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Can you believe, out of all the prayers I have on this website, I had completely overlooked that topic? Well, all I can say is THANK YOU for the nudge to now post this most important prayer!

Can you imagine sending your child off to bootcamp, knowing they will face war in their lifetime, and not send them out with any weapons? It would be unthinkable, right? Wouldn't you want them to have every weapon available to them? Yet, this is the reality of Christians that try to live without the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It is MORE than just speaking in tongues.

There are SO many reasons why it’s important for the believer to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit and speak in new tongues. It is a power gift, and who doesn’t want more power to overcome the evil one? It gives us power to witness, inner strength to overcome temptation to sin and demonic oppression. Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth, so it reveals truth to us as well. It’s a direct prayer hotline between us and our Father that the devil cannot understand. Wouldn't you like the enemy to be completely unable to understand what you are asking God to do? God gives us this gift as a strategic tool for warfare! Speaking in your heavenly language connects you to the throne room where revelation flows. It edifies the believer and fills them with increased power and anointing. It fills the internal well with rivers of living water that encourages, builds up and releases joy. The JOY of the Lord is our STRENGTH! You need joy in order to overcome trials! There are just so many excellent reasons why a Christian should speak in tongues on a regular basis. If you want more information on this beautiful gift, study the scriptures in the Book of Acts. Jesus’ disciples were instructed to WAIT for the Holy Spirit to be poured out on them. Others witnessed tongues of fire upon them, which speaks of power and anointing. Jesus didn’t want them to go anywhere or do anything until they got this gift because He knew that they needed it in order to prove to an unbelieving world that the kingdom of God was real. How much more should we desire it too?

I believe this gift is for everyone. God is not a respecter of persons, meaning, if He gives it to one He will give it to others as well. We need simply to ask.

Luke 11:13 tells us that our Father is a good Father and gives good gifts to those who ask. "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

The question remains, and I know some of you may be thinking this, so I’ll answer this now. 

“Why do some people receive the gift and others do not?”

I may not have the perfect answer, but I will tell you what I know. I have observed people lined up at altar calls just to receive this gift. Those who truly desired it, who had a spiritual hunger, received it. It was like, bang, bang, bang all down the row. People responded in faith and got filled just like that. God wasn't picking and choosing one person and not giving it to others. So I know the gift is for everyone. But, He does respond to those who eagerly desire more of Him. Sometimes people want the gift, but are struggling with an area of pride that tells them they will look or sound foolish, and that fear is a block to them receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit. Or maybe they have conflicting thoughts because of a lack of understanding. (A double minded man receives nothing from the Lord, James 1:7). He is a gentleman: He will not force himself on anyone especially if they are afraid of trusting Him. If they are exhibiting fear or an indifferent attitude towards Him, He may wait until they continue to press in and ask, for they may need to overcome their insecurities first. Ask the Lord to give you a jealous heart towards Him, a heart that is consumed with thoughts and desire for more of God! Personal desire for more of the Lord is KEY to whether or not people receive. Make up your mind you can't live without it and pursue Holy Spirit until you get it. It's that important! 

If you would like to receive this wonderful gift, here is a prayer for the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Pray: Dear Heavenly Father,

I ask You to bless me with my spiritual language and baptize me in the Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit, I want you. I need you. I am jealous for your Spirit. Come, Holy Spirit, and possess me. Baptize me in fire. Fill me. I need to be clothed with power from on high. Please fill me with rivers of living water that is spoken about in John 7:38, where Jesus said that whoever believed in Him, out of his innermost being would flow rivers of living water. Jesus, I do believe in You. I confess You as the risen Son of the Most High God, who died for my sins and rose again to give me victory over the evil one. Thank You for rivers of living water flowing from within me, and answering my request for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.


You may sense some strange new words forming in your thoughts. Just speak them out by faith. You may also feel like something supernatural is stirring from your belly and feel it rising up and out of you. Don't be afraid, just know it is God answering your request! One thing I know is that God responds to the hungry heart. He promises that everyone that asks, receives, and whoever seeks, they will find; whoever knocks, the door shall be opened to them. Go in faith and grab hold of your desire!   

No comments:

Post a Comment